Skip to content →

Shared Living Services



Shared Living Services

Our Shared Living Program provides an alternative to group residential living for adults who prefer a smaller or more family-type environment. Arrangements vary, with the most common being an individual sharing a house or apartment with another adult or family.

Tori Mathews, B.S.W.

Director of Shared Living Services
250-721-5584 x3303
email Tori Mathews

Shauna Perkins

Program Manager, Shared Living Services
email Shauna Perkins

Fran Rowley

Coordinator, Shared Living Services
email Fran Rowley

Andrew Pybus

Coordinator, Shared Living Services
email Andrew Pybus

Home Share services are provided by contracted caregivers, called Home Share Providers. They share living space and domestic responsibilities with the adult, and provide whatever level of support is appropriate to the person’s needs. This may include recreational support, community participation, life and home skill development and personal care and development. Shared Living homes are not licensed.

In general, home share providers are responsible for providing nutritious meals, transportation to appointments and recreational activities, ensuring access to community activities, and supervision based on the needs of the individual they are supporting. Home Share Providers are also required to maintain records and documentation regarding the services and supports being provided. Integra’s home share coordinators work closely with home share providers and the person they support to ensure they have access to the resources they need to provide the best support possible, as well as understand the expectations of the agency.

Shared Living (also referred to as Home Sharing) focuses on optimizing independence, self-determination and choice, while ensuring safety. We recruit and screen community members who provide services under contract to Integra. Then we work with both individuals and caregivers to find the best possible match, and provide the training and support to make it work. We promote long-lasting relationships between individuals and home share providers, and the development of a strong network of support that includes the individual’s family, the home share provider’s family and the community.

We have a diverse shared living community in Victoria and the Central Upper Island region. The people who live in home share arrangements come from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. We work to honour the different values and backgrounds of individuals and families when matching individuals with caregivers.

Frequently Asked Questions for Families and Support Networks

Q. What is a Home Sharing Provider?

A Home Sharing Provider is a person who makes a difference in the life of a person with diverse abilities by opening theIMG_1320 copyir heart and their home. Home Sharing Providers who are contracted to provide services with Integra, share their home with an adult with diverse abilities , providing them with the support they need to live as independently as possible. With the support of a specialized team of health and human services professionals, Home Sharing Providers become trusted caregivers, friends and advocates for the person with whom they live. This special relationship between the Home Sharing Provider and the person in their home is the foundation of our program's success. 

Our Home Sharing Providers are our greatest resource and enable us to help people with diversabilities in Victoria live rich, meaningful lives in the communities they call home.


Q: What do Home Sharing Providers do?

The services Home Sharing Providers provide are specifically tailored to meet the needs of the person who lives with them. Home Sharing Providers should believe in the value of creating an inclusive environment and fostering relationships with the person's family and support network. However, the actual level of support, supervision and active assistance varies. The needs and preferences of both the Home Sharing Provider and the person are considered to ensure compatibility.

Q. Who can become a Home Sharing Provider?

Integra's Home Sharing Providers represent a wide range of backgrounds and skill levels. They may be stay-at-home moms, empty nesters looking for companionship and a way to give back, retirees looking for extra income, or social services professionals with experience caring for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. All applicants undergo an extensive home study process, provide Integra with a criminal record clearance from the Ministry of Justice, have a valid First Aid/CPR certificate, and can demonstrate previous experience working with individuals with diverse abilities. We can help you gain volunteer experience if you are new to this field. One constant among our Home Share Providers is their commitment to care for and make a positive difference in someone's life and only those who are committed to fostering a true home environment will be considered.

Q. What kinds of care will I be responsible for?

In general, Home Sharing Providers are responsible for basic home, care, and related responsibilities.  This may include providing nutritious meals, transportation to appointments and recreational activities, ensuring access to community activities, and supervision based on the needs of the person you are supporting. Home Sharing Providers are also required to maintain records and documentation regarding the services and supports being provided. As part of the process for preparing to welcome someone into your home, our coordinators will work with you to make sure you have all of the information and materials you need to be successful. The people who are supported in Home Sharing have diverse abilities such as intellectual disabilities, autism, cerebral palsy, or epilepsy. Some may be very independent and go into the community on their own; some even have a steady job, while others will need more intensive support.  Our coordinators will make sure that you are matched with a person whose needs match your lifestyle.

Q. How long does the matching process take?

Once you are ready to accept a person with diverse abilities into your home, the matching process may vary from a few weeks to several months.  Proper matching takes time and is well worth the investment that it takes.  As a result, many of our matches have yielded long-term, meaningful relationships.

Q. Do Home Sharing Providers earn money for services provided in their home?

As a Home Sharing Provider, you will be an independent contractor, not an employee of Integra. You’ll be paid a monthly rate and this amount varies based on the needs of the person you support.  This amount is determined by CLBC. As part of our matching process, we will work with you to determine the level of needs you are best prepared to support. The person living in your home is required to contribute $716.13 of their PWD towards food and shelter and arrangements are often made with the Ministry of Social Development to have this amount sent directly to the contracted home share provider. 

Residential Services: Individual Financial Payments

As of October 1, 2017 all individuals receiving monthly Persons with Disability Benefits who reside in Community Living BC (CLBC) funded residential services receive the maximum monthly PWD rate of $1133.00. From this amount, individuals pay the service provider $716.13 towards their shelter and support costs, and the personal expense amount the individual keeps is $417.42.

People 65 and over receive Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement (OAS/GIS) from the federal government. As of April 1, 2016, the shelter and support rate for individuals in receipt of Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement (OAS/GIS) benefits has changed. Individuals age 65 and over in receipt of OAS/GIS are now required to pay $ 1,005.80 a month for shelter and support costs. The personal expense amount an individual age 65 or older keeps is $457.09.

Click here for information on the Annual BC Bus Pass Program and the Transportation Supplement.

→ Community Living BC Individual Financial Payment Policy: Residential Services

→ Information for Families

→ Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction – Payment for Clients

What does the $716.13 shelter and support contribution cover?

CLBC Standards for Home Sharing Online Course

Whether you are new to home sharing or a seasoned veteran, this course will help clarify your role as a home sharing provider. This course explains the standards, policies, and
expectations of Community Living BC (CLBC) that supports and funds home sharing.

In this course, you will work through five modules. Each module explains the standards by exploring the following themes: Your Role, Well-being, Home, Belonging, and Accountability.

Features of the course include:

– Case studies and videos that portray home sharing situations
– Reflection questions
– Self-assessment activities
– A certificate on completion of the course

Each training module contains topics and other resources. If there are videos to watch, they will appear along with the module content. For each module, you can complete the end of module quiz.



click here when you’re ready

Critical Incident Reporting 

Q. What is a Critical Incident?

A critical incident is a serious or unusual event(s) that involve an individual accessing services funded by CLBC that occur while service is being delivered. CLBC defines critical incidents to include the following:

  1. an individual that is involved in or impacted by a critical incident;
  2. a critical incident, or an alleged or suspected critical incident of emotional, physical, financial or sexual abuse, or neglect an individual who witnesses a critical incident that is traumatic and violent (e.g. all types of abuse, aggression between individuals, incidents of aggressive/unusual behaviour)
Q. What does 'while service is being delivered' mean?

✔︎ If the person you support in home share requires medical attention (ie: breaks a leg and you have to call 911 and they are transported to hospital OR chokes on a piece of pie and you have to perform First Aid) while at home with you, then a critical incident report needs to be completed by the Home Share Provider and sent to their Coordinator at Integra.

🚫 If the person you support in home share requires medical attention while at their Uncle's home, the home share provider would not submit a critical incident report because the person is not home and so home share service is not being delivered. Rather, the home share provider would let their Coordinator know for record keeping purposes. 

THE ONE AND ONLY EXCEPTION: Home share providers must immediately report any situations involving allegations of abuse, neglect, or self-neglect of adults with developmental disabilities to their Home Share Coordinator even if the incident happened outside of service delivery.  For critical incidents of an urgent nature (any allegations of abuse or neglect, self-neglect, unexpected death) that occur when Integra's offices are closed, home share providers must call the MCFD After Hours Office at 310-1234 (no area code needed) to report the incident immediately

Your Coordinator is responsible for reporting all critical incidents to CLBC within required timelines. This means that when incidents of an urgent nature (e.g. any allegations of abuse or neglect, unexpected death) occur, home share providers must:

✔︎ immediately call their Coordinator (or the MCFD After Hours Office at 310-1234 if Integra's offices are closed), and

✔︎ fax the critical incident report within 24 hours to Integra: 250-721-5993. Do not email your Critical Incident Report.

For critical incidents that are not of an urgent nature (e.g. unexpected illness, aggressive/unusual behaviour), home share providers must fax the critical incident report within 5 working days to their Home Share Provider.

Q. What is the difference between the critical incident type “aggression between individuals” and the “aggressive/unusual behaviour” type?

“Aggressive/unusual behaviour” is the most commonly reported (and over-reported) incident type. Even with the improved clarity of the new definition, it is still a fairly confusing incident type. To assist with decision-making around this category of incidents, remember the foundational intent of reporting – to highlight that something significant has happened for an individual that requires a special response of some kind (medical attention, an intervention that is not already documented in an individual’s Behaviour Support and Safety Plan, etc.).

As we move forward, we want to make sure that truly serious incidents are not overlooked because of over - or unnecessary reporting.

When aggression has occurred, the first decision point is to consider who is involved. If the incident involves aggression between two individuals who are being served (during service delivery), “aggression between individuals” should typically be selected. Remember that this is only a critical incident if the aggression is serious enough that one (or more) of the involved individuals requires first aid or other medical attention. This is a new category so be sure to read the definition carefully. It relates specifically to aggression between individuals served by a provider that results in harm serious enough to require medical attention. This incident type would not be used to record aggression directed towards an individual not served by the provider (friends, family, staff, etc.). In those situations, it might be appropriate to define the incident as “aggressive and unusual behaviour” (see next paragraph for details).

“Aggressive/unusual behaviour” should be selected if the incident involves aggressive or unusual behaviour that is out of character for a specific individual. In this case, aggression might be self-directed or towards an individual who does not access the services of the provider (friends, family, staff, etc.). It might also include very escalated levels of agitation, frustration, or general aggression that is unusual for the individual. To be classified as a critical incident under this type, the aggression must be serious enough to cause harm (physical or emotional) to the individual or another person not accessing services OR it must be something that is not part of the individual’s usual behaviour and the behaviour has not been documented in the individual’s Behaviour Support and Safety Plan (BSSP) if they have one.

With incidents that are out of character or unusual for that individual and not documented in their BSSP, serious harm does not have to occur for the incident to be reported as a critical incident. The important thing to remember for these incidents, is that a special response is required, such as an intervention that is not already documented in the individual’s BSSP and therefore these incidents need to be reported as critical. The Incidents of Aggression Decision Points Chart is a useful quick reference.

Q. Do I need to submit a critical incident report if I administered a PRN?

Not anymore.

The definition of “restraint” in Critical Incident Types notes that PRNs are not a chemical restraint. This clarification is consistent with the principles of CLBC’s Positive Behaviour Supports Policy.

We are moving away from thinking of PRN (“chemical”) use as a restrictive practice. Unlike other sectors that use medications to forcibly subdue individuals (often in combination with physical restraints that are intended to keep the individual and / or others safe from harm), PRNs are typically prescribed within community living to assist individuals to self-regulate their behaviours and emotions.

If a PRN is administered according to a prescription for the intended purpose, is not considered a chemical restraint and does not need to be reported as a critical incident. If a PRN is administered outside the parameters of a prescription (wrong dose, wrong individual, wrong time, etc.), for a purpose other than that which has been approved, or causes adverse effects, that should be reported using a CIR as a “medication error”.


Q. What if I submit a CIR for a non-critical incident?
It is not uncommon for home share providers to submit CIRs for incidents that occur outside the realm of service delivery and for other incidents that are not (by CLBC definition) critical.  If you submit a Critical Incident Report for an incident that does not meet CLBC’s definition as “critical,” your  Coordinator will: 
  1. Follow-up with you to discuss the situation and provide guidance around what is and isn’t considered a critical incident;
  2. Advise that you record the information for your own records in case further planning is needed for the individual you support;
  3. Return the Critical Incident Report to you;
  4. Remind you  to go easy on yourself because you're doing a great job!

Integra welcomes your interest in becoming a contracted caregiver with shared living services. We are seeking suitable mature individuals, couples or families to provide a safe, nurturing community based shared living arrangement for adults with developmental disabilities.

Contracted caregivers are expected to provide high quality care and support in areas such as personal hygiene, appearance, health care, nutrition, social and recreational activities as well as have the following skills:

Good written, verbal reporting communication and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team and in one-to-one situations
Demonstrated organizational, time management skills and problem solving skills
Ability to remain calm and objective when working with individuals with challenging behaviours
Ability to meet the physical, mental, and interpersonal demands of the job in a professional manner
Ability to be a role model for the person served

Click here to complete our Home Share Provider pre-screening questions, which is the first step in the application process.

We are here to answer any questions you have about Shared Living.  Reach out to us and we’ll respond.


*The BC Home Share Providers Association is not affiliated with any agency that is contracted to provides services on behalf of CLBC

Translate »