Skip to main content

How are we doing?

Sometimes we can put things right; sometimes we can only explain ourselves and apologize. But we do want to learn from our mistakes. We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.

Your concerns will be treated individually, sensitively and confidentially. The person you speak to will find the quickest and most appropriate way to deal with your complaint.

Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.

Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service. We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you. Once we know you have an advocate we will make sure they are part of any discussions. We may also be able to help you find an advocate if you do not have one.

You can complain about things like:

  • delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • our standard of service
  • dissatisfaction with our policy
  • treatment by or attitude of an Integra employee or contractor
  • not following proper procedure

Your complaint may involve more than one of our services or be about someone working on our behalf.

It is easier to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly with the person concerned as they can try to resolve any problems on the spot. If you are not comfortable doing that then you can:

  • Contact the Coordinator of the program
  • Contact the Director of the program

You can also complain by phone, by email, or in person.  If you wish, you can also fill out our I Have a Concern Form below.

When making a complaint, please tell us:

  • Your full name and address
  • As much as you can about the complaint
  • What has gone wrong
  • How you want us to resolve the matter

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has 3 steps:

  1. We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and immediate action to resolve the problem.
  2. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will contact you within 7 days of receiving your complaint. The Coordinator of the service with which you are submitting a complaint will arrange a time to meet with you. If the Coordinator can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, they will explain why.
  3. If you are still dissatisfied you can ask for your complaint to be investigated further by the Director of the program. The Director will review everything that was documented then take steps to resolve the issue. The Director will provide you with the results of the investigation in writing or in person within 15 days. You may choose to do this immediately or some time after you meet with the Coordinator. We can help you with making this request.

A complaint is considered serious when it involves neglect, abuse, or a threat to the safety and well-being of others. Any Integra staff who hears this type of complain will immediately contact the Executive Director or CEO.

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, Community Living BC (CLBC)can help. Their complaints resolution process includes making a complaint about the quality of services provided by contracted service providers.

Under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, a Medical Health Officer or designate (usually a Licensing Officer) is responsible for investigating every allegation or complaint of non-compliance in a licensed community care facility. You can read more about how to file a complaint with Licensing here.

The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) is committed to providing quality service to children, youth, families and communities. If your complaint concerns a child who may be in need of protection, call the Helpline for Children at: 310-1234 (from anywhere in B.C., 24 hours a day). No area code is required. You can visit their website for more information.

BC’s Advocate for Service Quality

The Advocate for Service Quality is Leanne Dospital.  The Advocate is appointed by, and reports to, the Minister. She does not work directly for the government.  The Advocate’s job is to help adults with developmental disabilities and transitioning youth with special needs and their families have access to supports and services that are available. The Advocate can help with services from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, from other ministries, Community Living BC or from service agencies in the community.  If you have a problem with services you can contact the Advocate and request assistance to resolve any complaints you may have. The Advocate also encourages and helps adults to advocate for themselves.

Victoria residents call Enquiry BC at 250 387-6121 and asked to be transferred to Office of the Advocate for Service Quality’s office at 604 775-1238.

Elsewhere in B.C. call Enquiry BC at 1-800-663-7867 and asked to be transferred to Office of the Advocate for Service Quality‘s office at 604 775-1238.

By mail:

Office of the Advocate for Service Quality

Suite 820 – 999 West Broadway

Vancouver, BC

V5Z 1K5

WorkSafeBC provides workers with assistance and information regarding issues in the workplace.  If you don’t think your complaint or concern has been addressed, you can call WCB’s Prevention Information Line discuss your complaint or concern.

Toll-free: 1-888-621-7233 (1-888-621-SAFE) (Canada)

Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

We are committed to making our service easy to use for all members of the community. We will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help people access and use our services. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing please tell us.

We recognize that people may act out of character at times of trouble and distress. There may have been upsetting or distressing circumstances leading up to making a complaint.

We expect our staff to be treated courteously and respectfully. Violence or abuse towards staff is unacceptable. We accept that people may sometimes be angry or upset.  However, it is not acceptable when anger about an issue escalates into aggression directed towards our staff.

Violence is not restricted to acts of aggression that may result in physical harm. It also includes behaviour or language (whether spoken or written) that may cause staff to feel afraid, threatened or abused.

Examples of behaviours grouped under this heading include threats, physical violence, personal verbal abuse, derogatory, slanderous or libellous remarks, either verbal or written, and rudeness. We also consider that inflammatory statements and unsubstantiated allegations can constitute abusive behaviour.

We welcome all expressions of dissatisfaction about any aspect of our services and treat them as complaints which we use to improve the services we provide. We do however recognize that in exceptional circumstances the way someone uses our complaints procedure may act to harass employees of Integra or obstruct decisions previously made.

Examples of actions grouped under this heading include continual attempts to make trivial or frivolous complaints relating to a complaint which has already been considered, continual attempts to re-open a complaint which has been considered by reframing it, or continually attempting to obstruct Integra from carrying out services.

Online Complaint Form

Online Complaint Form