Skip to content →

What the $716 ‘shelter and support’ contribution covers in home sharing and residential

'Shelter and Support' Contribution

An individual’s shelter and support monthly amount is determined based on their income. For individuals receiving the Persons with Disability Assistance (PWD), the monthly amount is based on the PWD rate. For individuals age 65 and over, the monthly amount is based on the Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement (OAS/GIS) rate.

What is covered by the shelter and support contribution:

  • basic cable
  • landline phone for local calls.
  • heat
  • electricity 
  • basic internet
  • Laundry detergent and fabric softener are covered as part of household grocery
  • Products other than those provided is at the expense of the person receiving support unless there is a health related reason. For example, the need for scent free products because of allergies
Basic toiletries
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Body wash/bar soap
  • Tooth brush
  • Toothpaste
  • Razors
  • Shaving cream

These are considered  part of house hold groceries. More expensive specialty or salon products are the responsibility of the person receiving service.

Transportation (rides)
  • Transportation to medical and health appointments and formal activities.

What is not covered by the shelter and support contribution:


The person receiving services is responsible for budgeting for and purchasing:

  • clothing
  • footwear
  • outer wear such as coats, hat’s, scarves, gloves


Personal Items

The person receiving  services is responsible for budgeting for and purchasing:

  • electronics
  • games
  • bedding
  • make up 
  • personal computer, tablet, iPad, iPod
  • television, including extra cable channels
  • DVD player
Cell phone and plan

The cost of a cell phone and monthly plan is the responsibility of the person receiving services.  

  • Long distance charges are to be paid by the person

Travel costs that include:

  • bus fare
  • airfare
  • hotel
  • if the home share provider is travelling with the person, some of the grocery money may be used to cover meal expenses while on vacation, otherwise the person is responsible for paying additional meal costs when eating out.

The person receiving home sharing services is responsible for purchasing any prescription medication as well as any over-the-counter medications, medical equipment and supplies not covered by the Ministry of Social Development, BC Pharmacare, or Plan C. There are eligibility requirements to obtain coverage for health supplements and monthly nutritional supplements.

CARF accreditation standards requires that individuals living in any CLBC funded residential services provided by Integra, must have an annual medication review.

Costs that exceed basic dental coverage.

Community Living BC (CLBC) provides supports and services to eligible adults* and their families. CLBC has an Individual Financial Payment Policy that provides information about the monthly amount your family members will pay for shelter and support when required. This information sheet answers some common questions about this policy.



Individual Financial Payments - CLBC Information for Families

Translate »